The Shepherd’s Center of Greater Winston-Salem consistently advocates for individual as well as groups of older adults who are impacted by decisions or practices which affect them socially or economically.
In our role of promoting and supporting successful aging, we seek as an organization - as well as by mobilizing groups of older adults - to influence decisions and policies within political, economic, and social systems and institutions. This is done in a non-partisan manner while seeking the best interest of those served.
Our advocacy has included decisions and practices which have impacted older adults in our community and has taken the form of petitions, outreach on behalf of specific persons as well as groups.
Examples of our advocacy have included:
· Needed renovations for an older adult veteran – Read more
· Issues regarding safety and environmental issues in subsidized housing
· Support for the continued funding of the Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) at the federal level – Read more
· Support for increased funding for Senior Centers at the state and federal level
· Support for funding from city and county government – Read more
· Grant funding for critical transportation services – Read more
· Medicare counseling through the Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP)
SPECIAL UPCOMING ADVOCACY OPPORTUNITIES